Out of State DUI Attorneys in Baltimore
Get Your Maryland or Out of State DUI Case Dismissed or Your Charges Reduced
If you have been charged with a DUI in Maryland and you do not live in Maryland, you may have a valid defense. In fact, Maryland law allows out-of-state residents to challenge a DUI arrest and conviction if they can prove they were not physically present in Maryland when the alleged DUI occurred. Additionally, if you are a resident of Maryland and you receive a DUI in another state, the consequences you may face can vary depending on the laws and regulations of both the state where the offense occurred and Maryland.
Our attorneys at Scheuerman Law LLC have handled thousands of criminal cases and we have the experience necessary to defend you against harsh criminal penalties. If you were arrested for a DUI in Maryland or another state, we can protect your rights, driving privileges, and future.
Maryland DUI Laws & Out-of-State Drivers
When a person is arrested for driving under the influence (DUI) in Maryland but holds an out-of-state driver's license, the handling of the case may vary depending on the circumstances.
Maryland is a member of the Driver License Compact (DLC), an agreement among most states in the United States to share information about traffic violations and license suspensions. This means that if you are convicted of a DUI in Maryland, it is likely that the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) will report the conviction to your home state's licensing authority.
Here are some key points to consider regarding out-of-state DUI cases in Maryland:
- Arrest: If you are arrested for a DUI in Maryland as an out-of-state driver, the arresting officer will typically follow the regular DUI arrest procedures. You may be taken into custody, and your driving privileges in Maryland may be suspended.
- Legal Process: You will need to go through the legal process in Maryland, which includes attending court hearings and dealing with the charges against you. It is essential to have legal representation to navigate the legal system effectively.
- Penalties: The penalties for a DUI offense in Maryland can include fines, license suspension, mandatory alcohol education or treatment programs, probation, and even jail time, depending on the specific circumstances of the case. The penalties can vary depending on prior DUI convictions, blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level, and other factors.
- License Suspension: If you are convicted of a DUI in Maryland, the MVA will report the conviction to your home state's licensing authority. Your home state will then determine what actions to take regarding your driving privileges, such as imposing license suspension or other penalties according to its own laws.
- Interstate Compact Actions: If your home state is also a member of the DLC, it will likely treat the Maryland DUI conviction as if it had occurred in your home state. This means that you may face license suspension, mandatory programs, and other penalties according to your home state's laws.
Maryland Drivers & Out-of-State DUI Charges
If you are a resident of Maryland and you receive a DUI (Driving Under the Influence) in another state, the consequences you may face can vary depending on the laws and regulations of both the state where the offense occurred and Maryland.
Typically, when you are charged with a DUI in a state other than your home state, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) of the state where the offense took place will notify the DMV in your home state. As a result, the Maryland DMV will usually treat the out-of-state DUI offense as if it occurred within Maryland, and you may face consequences as if the offense had taken place in your home state.
This means that Maryland may apply its own laws and penalties for DUI, regardless of where the offense occurred. The specific penalties and procedures will depend on Maryland law and the circumstances of the offense.
I appreciate the time and attention that Mr. Saleh put into my case. I hope I won't be needing their services again in the future, but I would absolutely contact them again if I do.- Jessica M
He responded back immediately, and was very polite and communicative the whole time!- Savannah P
Very professional. He Genuinely cares. He listen to all our concerns and knows a lot.- Mike
Amazing attorney who will fight to the end for justice! Thank you for all you do!- Kelly
I felt very at ease with Mark representing me and will definitely use him in the future.- Terry H.
If you want to win, you want Mark Scheuerman and his team.- Anna O.